- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 stalks finely chopped celery
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (each 28 oz) puréed tomatoes
2 tbsp ketchup
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil.
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 lb spaghetti
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a large heavy frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add celery and cook 2 minutes more. Add ground beef and sauté, stirring frequently and breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes. Spoon off all but 2 tsp fat.
Add mushrooms and oregano and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and ketchup, scraping up browned bits on bottom of pan.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or more, until thick.
Stir in basil, parsley and vinegar; season well with salt and pepper.
- Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water until al dente. Serve sauce over spaghetti and serve grated Parmesan & a ceaser salad.
** This sauce tastes even better the next day, so make ahead of time