The Best Beef & Pork Chili
- 6 slices smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup beer
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- One 24-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- One 24-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Shredded Cheddar, for garnish
- Sliced scallions, for garnish
In large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally. Once the bacon is browned, add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chili powder, oregano, and smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings are aromatic.
Add the beef and break it up with a wooden spoon. Once beef is broken up and beginning to brown, add the pork. Break up with wooden spoon like the beef, and brown, until no longer pink, roughly 4 minutes. Stir in the beer and beans. Toss together, then add the crushed and diced tomatoes.
Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, sour cream, shredded cheese, and sliced scallions.